Welcome to The Law Office of Alan H. Schoem LLC
In his law practice, Alan H. Schoem assists clients with product safety-related issues involving the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Mr. Schoem developed his product safety expertise during his time as a lawyer at the CPSC (1973-2004) and as a product risk consultant in Marsh & McLennan's Global Product Risk Practice (2004-2011).
Mr. Schoem served in a variety of capacities at CPSC including Director of the Office of Compliance (October 1997 - September 2004) where he was responsible for CPSC’s enforcement program. While at CPSC, he also served as the Director of what is now the Compliance Legal Division in the Office of General Counsel (1986-1997), Assistant General Counsel for Enforcement and Information (1976-1986) and as a staff attorney working primarily on rulemaking issues (1973-1976). Mr. Schoem also was instrumental in developing CPSC’s Fast Track Product Recall Program for which he received the Mary C. Lawton Award for Outstanding Government Service in 2002.
Mr. Schoem currently assists clients with product safety-related issues including:
- Providing legal advice and guidance on CPSC’s mandatory “Section 15” reporting requirements and assisting businesses in complying with the reporting requirement
- Assisting firms whose products have been detained by CPSC and/or U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Assisting businesses develop corrective action plans and conduct product recalls
- Assisting businesses who believe that a product recall is not warranted
- Assisting businesses in CPSC civil penalty investigations
- Assisting businesses develop or improve product recall manuals
- Assisting businesses develop or improve product recall processes and procedures including issue identification, issue escalation and product traceability procedures
- Assisting businesses respond to CPSC investigations of their products
- Providing expert witness testimony in product liability or other litigation or arbitration matters